When you're getting dressed for the day, I know how easy it is to put on workout clothes (even if you won't be working out). They're comfortable, they're easy to match, they're within reach, your favorite brand added new colors or designs, and maybe they feel like a good uniform for running around town all day...I get it. It's easy. But I'm not alone when I say: Please, stop.
Ladies, It’s time to stop wearing your LuLuLemon or other workout gear as everyday clothes. Here are five reasons why:
1) YOU ARE A GROWN UP: If you want to be treated like an adult, act like an adult. One who gets dressed for the day you want to have! If you aren't going to the gym, it's no longer acceptable to wear work out gear to lunch with friends, parent-teacher conferences and definitely not for shopping at the mall or the market.
2) IT'S HOT: In New England, the heat is upon us. Why stay constricted when light and airy is the way to go Reach into that closet, throw on a fun summer skirt and a light shirt - or how about that fun sun dress you save for special occasions? Make TODAY the special occasion day!
3) STYLES CHANGE: Styles change every couple of years, and the workout look is out. Take a look at your favorite fashion magazines. What do you see that's exciting and fun? What's stopping you from styling yourself?
4) IT’’S INEXPENSIVE: Don't let the idea of dressing for the day intimidate you. Go shopping in your closet, and plan to update your accessories (at One Savvy Mother of course) and 1 key piece a season.
5) PUT YOURSELF FIRST: You know that woman you see at the market in a put-together outfit with her hair done and makeup on? Doesn't she make you stand up straighter? Do you respect her? You can be like her! Remember when putting on your clothes for the day made you feel strong and confident? When you used to like what your clothes said about you? Put yourself first tomorrow morning and put 5 measly minutes into putting yourself together before taking on the day. It will take 4 minutes longer than putting on stretchy pants and workout bra, but the effect will last all day.
Try it for a week. You’ll not only feel better about yourself but you’ll look a hell of a lot better for it too.